Wednesday, July 6, 2022

It's been a while!

 It's been quite a while since I last wrote on my blog, a fact that I've been acutely aware of!  Like many other parts of Australia we've had various extremes of weather over the last couple of years, most recently extremely wet weather, though we've avoided the terrible floods that have been and are still affecting many areas of the East Coast.  Most of my work has been cleaning up fallen trees and branches, and with our grass growing at an unprecedented rate, lots of mowing!  I'm sure that nobody is interested in reading about that any more than I'm interested in writing about it!

A New Fence

A while ago I had a short section of post and rail fence built near the middle of our property and I showed this in the previous post.


Like most of my other fencing this one doesn't actually serve any useful purpose, other than it helps to define the area that it's in and also to display some of my collection of enamel signs!  Eventually I hope to construct an old-style machinery shed behind this fence and having the fence in place helps me a lot when planning exactly where to put the shed.  It's a particularly cloudy and drizzly day today and the tea-tree bushes in the background look unusually grim.


I have finally finished the installation of this sign, which I really like!  It's a reproduction available from a very talented signwriter, and is very hard to tell from an original.


This sign is 'The real McCoy' and is one I've had in storage for quite a while, it's very exciting to finally have it on display.  Being original it already has various screw holes for attachment, but these didn't really match up with the fence rails, so I had to figure out the best way to hang it.  I decided to build a hardwood frame to attach the sign to, which gave me the flexibility to attach the frame to the fence rails at the height that looks best.

Plume brand petrol was sold by the Vacuum Oil Company here in Australia, and was eventually re-branded as Mobil.

Hopefully, from now on, I'll be able to find some interesting updates to write about, and it won't be another two years until the next post!






No comments:

Post a Comment