Sunday, November 6, 2011

One good turn deserves..............

Gradually the list of items that I need for my Standard Gauge Lionel layout is getting smaller.  Most recently I was able to buy a turntable, courtesy of eBay.  There have been a few available at various times, but not available to Downunder, perhaps because they are large items.  This completes the 'track' required for the layout, but there are still quite a few accessories required, or desired!  The turntable ideally should have what Lionel called 'Roundhouse Sections' around it.  Perhaps four or five.  These things are huge!!  It might be cheaper (and definitely more fun) for me to fly across to the U.S. and bring one or two back, rather than pay postage for them!


Here's a picture which I've shown before on this blog- but it's a favourite- taken on a layout which I have found very inspiring, of a turntable with five Roundhouse Sections around it.  This is a similar scene to what I plan to have on my layout.  The trains aren't bad, either!!




Some idea of size is necessary here.  Standard Gauge trains are Big!!  The turntable, in the middle is 17 inches diameter, although it seems to be dwarfed by the magnificent Roundhouse Sections which are 24 inches from front to back.  So the width of this scene is approximately 6 feet!  Hence the need to provide a relatively large building to properly display this, and the other, layouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment